Monday, May 10, 2010

Disturbance...

I was reading the newspaper and the headline story is this one about the Mumbai terrorist that they caught getting a death sentence.  I personally think the death penalty is barbaric, but it is a legal consequence in many judicial systems.  So, I expected a death sentence, but not the disturbance I got.

Look at the picture with the headline:


http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/world/asia/07mumbai.html?hp










The facial expression suits the winning of a lottery...the birth of a child...the opening of a business...the celebration of an anniversary.  NOT the killing of a human being.

I know we live in the "between times."  I know sometimes there are no good answers.  I know that the terrorist "deserved" death...I know we all are guilty of behaviors that lead to the deaths of others, even if we don't plan and implement those deaths.  But should we celebrate like this?

The death of a human created in the image of God should disturb us all any time, any where.  We may implement a human consequence, but we should do so fully aware of the grace that God has extended us and weeping for the brokenness we cannot control.

God forgive us our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment