Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Changing the World?

I have friends who just returned from a trip to Israel/Palestine/Egypt.  One of them was asked what was the most life changing aspect of the trip.  He replied that his perspective on the Israel/Arab conflict had changed.  They met many Palestinians on their trip and had the opportunity to get to know them.  He was surprised to find they were very hard-working, concerned for the welfare of their families and the surrounding neighborhoods and countries, and wanted (as we all do) a chance at a prosperous life.  My friend said he had always been a supporter of Israel, and he still was...but his perspective of Arabs had changed.  "We have to find a solution that works for everyone," he said.

Life changed for people who lived in Northern Ireland when relationships began to build between Protestants and Catholics.  I love this picture which symbolizes all the programs introducing Israeli's and Arab's to each other at young ages to build relationships in the hope for peace.  Jesus Christ built his life and ministry on relationship.  Relationship is the very identity of God...Father, Son, and Spirit.  Consistently Jesus modeled the ability to see people through relationship and not through law or economic status, or social prejudices. 

Even in the most basic conflict in our lives and our churches, I wonder what could change if our fundamental operating mode was what is good for others even when it is not so good for us...I believe it is the "love God, love your neighbor as yourself" stance.  That is undoubtably the hardest thing we are called to do.  Even loving God gets defined through what is best or "healthiest" or most convenient for us. 

My friend's experience reminds me that I need to look again at my relationship with God...then with my fellow travelers in this world and ask God to show me what I can do to build those relationships...moving myself out of the way of God's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment