Monday, April 4, 2011

Religion...

Did you know religion may become extinct in 9 nations?  Good thing I'm almost through with that seminary degree.  If, as I heard somewhere, the opposite of faith is certainty...then I have extreme faith these days--cause nothing is certain!  I do think we really need to ask ourselves what kind of difference our "religion" is making in the world.  Is it bringing healing and wholeness to the people who brush up against it, or is it bringing condemnation and judgment.

This week the news is full of stories of Terry Jones burning a Koran and the deaths that resulted as a result.  Look as I might, I'm seeing no stories of Jesus insulting other religions (though he certainly went after his own!).  A perfect time to do that would have been the conversation with the Samaritan woman at the well.  After all, they worshiped on the wrong mountain and they hated the Jews and really, everyone would have understood if he had taken some action to straighten her out.

Instead, as she brushed up against Jesus in this encounter, she left with an encounter with God.  Another article this week talked about a group of atheist students starting a school club.  And I quote:

Last fall, Breane Lyga joined both a Christian club and the atheist club. Some Christian club members thought she was doing it for a goof. Others wondered if she was a spy for the atheists, but Breane said she was just confused.

“I was kind of agnostic,” she said. “I wanted to get both points of view.” She talked with Mrs. Harrell and Mr. Creamer, two of her favorite teachers. She weighed the pluses and minuses. Around Christmas she stopped attending the Christian club meetings. “I guess I found out who I was,” she said.

I'm wondering if it is not time for us to take a really hard look at ourselves.  Are we living as Christ lived, following his way and doing what he did...or have we buried ourselves in a set of beliefs that wind up hiding this good news that is truly transformative.  How can we "unbury" here so close to this Easter season.  How can we reclaim a resurrection of the things that move us forward, together, and closer to God?

I wish I knew...hey wait...there's that faith thing back.

No comments:

Post a Comment