Sunday, July 20, 2014

Mexico…Saturday and Sunday

SATURDAY

The village fixed breakfast for us...chicken and rice soup. The chicken had great flavor, but fought back a bit. Coffee was super sweet, pre-sugared. The hospitality was, again, over the top. Every villager who had worked with us, worshipped with us, sent their kids to escuelos de biblia, and who wasn't at work or in school was there to see us off. Many pictures were snapped. Many hands shaken.  Many, many thanks expressed. It was humbling and frustrating. Humbling because we deserved so very little. That's the definition of grace enacted. Frustrating because we didn't have the language to begin to express how blessed we had been by their grace.

We lived the perfect moment of Kingdom grace...or at least I did. God is so generous with us, we are so undeserving. And when we see those glimpses of God's generosity and recognize how undeserved they are, language fails us over and over. "Thanks" just doesn't seem enough. Seems all that is left for the expression is the enactment of the giving of grace to others. I hope I can come close.

SUNDAY

We were up and in vehicles just as the night clubbers next to out hotel were stumbling home...literally. We are arriving in Mexico City as I am writing this, looking toward 18 hours of travel if things go well.

And now it's Monday morning. Travel went smoothly and I walked through the doors at midnight. I have had a hot shower, feeling grateful and guilty at the same time. Well, perhaps not guilty, but curious. What does my lifestyle contribute to the economic inequality of the world? What have they taught me about living healthier, more related lives? What do I live with that I can live without? What do I need now that I didnt know I needed before?


Im grateful for the opportunity to live and share this experience. I hope I can change the world just a little bit for the better from what I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment