Thursday, December 21, 2017

Mary's Real Work...

The song in Luke is the Magnificat...parallels the song of Hannah in 1 Samuel. It is the preaching text for the third Sunday in Advent (last Sunday).

I remembered my raising. There were two Marys. One, Catholic like my best friend, was holy and worthy of worship and adoration. My protestant Mary was submissive and obedient and agreed to have the baby Jesus--the man who would do the real work.

But I hear her song in a new way as an adult. Kathleen Norris says Mary "found her voice" when she said "yes" to God's work...and she spent her life following that path. Scholar Elizabeth Johnson reminds us that Mary's experience fulfills the five biblical pointers that identify a prophet.

She's not just a virgin who had a baby or a submissive woman. She's a magnificent prophet who spoke God's truth and who raised a son who changed the world. She proclaimed God's no to oppression in this song and followed Jesus all the way to the cross to enact that truth.

(Course, it could be argued, she had time because there was no Christmas to prepare for and decorate for and preach for and wrap gifts for and send cards for--not that I've managed any of that, except gifts--unwrapped).

But I hope the proclamation of and work toward justice is my everyday call growing from Mary's work...not just a Christmas celebration of a new baby. Most know the real work of having a baby is not the labor, but what follows.

Same is true of Christmas. This may be the labor...but the real work of Christmas is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment