Monday, November 8, 2010

Everyday Acts...

If you didn't read yesterday's post, stop now and read it, then come back...

I did go to church this morning.  Posted in the bulletin was an announcement about my being granted "candidacy" status as a seminary student, part of the Presbyterian process of becoming an ordained minister.  A small part of me hoped I wouldn't be confirmed.  I love my job now and my church family, and don't even like to think about perhaps having to do something else.  Most of me would have been sad if I had not been confirmed.  All of me really didn't think it was a huge big deal...just another hoop to jump through--something Presbyterians are good at.

After worship, a gentleman, and gentle man, advanced in years and usually reserved, found me and gave me a big hug and the most excited "congratulations" I think I have received since giving birth.  I saw through new eyes.  Whenever any of us takes a step to commit to a practice that deliberately moves toward bringing the Kingdom of God into our world, we should be celebrating.  Ministry, sure, but also those who commit to generosity without control or payback, to service, to speaking truth to power, to teaching children's Sunday school to one or two, to singing in the choir, to prayer, to baking communion bread...the list is endless.  The one criteria, it seems, is the deliberate recognition that our gift is from God and is to be used for God...that is worthy of great celebration...

Blessed by an everyday act.  Here's hoping that some everyday act of mine will do the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment