Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jesus Daily...

I don't even know where I found this, but I wound up on a Facebook site called Jesus Daily.  Someone told me it was quite the popular site and I was curious what a Jesus Daily FB page might look like.  You can go there every day for a spiritual fix.

Not really.

I looked at about 50 days worth of posts and they were either us cheering for Jesus, Jesus cheering for us, or some kind of quiz to take.  Really?  The Jesus who commanded "take up your cross and follow me..." The Jesus who said "love your enemies," "do this to the least of these," "blessed are those who mourn"?

Jesus doesn't need a cheerleader.  Maybe we do.  I guarantee some days I would like one.  But I don't need a cheerleader for checking Facebook or reading a quiz.  I need a cheerleader for figuring out how to stay in relationship with people who make me crazy, for patience when change comes too slow, for persistence in serving when it feels like I don't have time or energy, for not letting busy-ness stop me from living as a disciple.  I didn't find any of that on Jesus Daily.

"I love Jesus" on Jesus Daily seems to mean that Jesus has my excited, passionate approval.  I think what Jesus wants is our excited, passionate commitment to his way of life.  That might be a Jesus Daily that changes the world...but I bet it doesn't get many hits on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment