Friday, December 13, 2013

Advent 13…Halfway

We are just past the halfway point in Advent. I read the texts this morning and wondered what on earth I could say…again…about judgment. All judgment. Everywhere. Read them all; you can say, "Oh yes, I've read Haggai." But I bet you will have the same response. Bleh. I'm tired of judgment. Let's get on to the Christmas hope.

Ah-ha moment. Because we, the people of God, are not good at judgment. We know it is good for us. We will stay with it for a bit. But then we'd really like to move back to the good news. Have I recognized things that need to change in my life. Yes. Have I changed. No.

Isn't recognition good enough?

It feels heavy today. Judgment weighs me down. Covers me up. Holds me under.
    Stop!   Let.  me.   go.
Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD.                                                                      Lord, hear my voice!                                                                                                         Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications!
If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities,                                                                       Lord, who could stand?                                                                                                     But there is forgiveness with you, so that you may be revered.
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope;                                            my soul waits for the Lord                                                                                              more than those who watch for the morning,                                                                  more than those who watch for the morning.
O Israel, hope in the LORD!                                                                                               For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is great power to redeem.                  It is he who will redeem Israel from all its iniquities. (Psalm 130)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment