Monday, December 23, 2013

Advent 23…Generations

It's the genealogy in Matthew today. I just talked to my son who is helping his church re-do their chapel. He donated a lectern and they asked "what to put on the plaque." I suggested "Donated in honor of all voices that have nurtured faith."

The genealogy reminds me of those voices. I have another friend who will spend her first Christmas Eve in worship this year. Part of me is grateful to have had the voices that brought me to hear the story and the hymns, part of me is envious, wondering how it must be to experience that for the first time as an adult.

Scholars will tell you that the genealogy had multiple significant meanings. For me, today, it is the voices of those who have gone before, the witnesses who shared their faith with me and all those who came before me.

May I also be a witness to coming generations.

May you be also…

No comments:

Post a Comment