Sunday, April 13, 2014

Holy Week...

Palm Sunday begins Holy Week. It's the consistent lament of church professionals that we have to pack Palm Sunday and Passion all together because few people will come out for the darker services of Mandy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday.

Today my hot water heater stopped working. Cold water showers are horrible, to be avoided at all costs. I just thought today as I showered at my daughter's, we are mighty lucky that we can avoid the horrible. Many people can't. There are people tonight who have to face the sudden unexpected death of loved ones, people who live and serve in dangerous places, people who don't have enough to eat.

I wonder if the discipline of Holy Week is a necessary reminder that the world doesn't always have an abundance of hot water. I promise I will appreciate my hot shower when it comes back. Perhaps it is in the journey through the darkness and the pain, the hopelessness and the evil that is our companion in this life that we can truly appreciate the resurrection, the promise of new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment