Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Radical Hospitality...Assumptions

I was schooled by a six year old Sunday morning. Honestly, I'm not sure what the lesson is...I know it's something about making assumptions, but I'm going to have to live with this one awhile.

We took them to get breakfast for a fifth Sunday celebration. On the way, he's telling me about watching basketball. I ask if he plays basketball. He says no. The black team, he tells me, wins everything all the time, so he doesn't play any more.

Being a child who remembers the changes instituted from the Civil Rights movement, I say to him, "Well, I bet it's not about the color, but about how hard they work and how much they practice."

"Oh, yeah," he replies (leaving all his "r's" at home for safe-keeping). "They work hard. But it's true that when you saw those black jerseys, you knew you would lose."

By the time I could breathe again, we were at the restaurant.

We should all have those eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment