Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Advent: Trust in the Darkness

It's all about dark these days. Dark when I get up. Dark when I go to bed. I'm far less functional in the dark, for sure. I. need. sunshine.

Advent is a season of darkness. Literally. Figuratively. We talk about waiting in the darkness for the Advent of the Light, the in-breaking of God into our world. I think about the people who never quite have enough money to get through the month, even though they work full time. Today, I remember the pressure that creates and am sad that we, the richest country in the world, can't do better caring for each other. Darkness.

I think about the family who lost their teenage son to suicide on Thanksgiving morning. He had struggled for so long...and so had they. Suffocating darkness.

Struggling with a toddler day in and day out, coming home every night responsible for feeding your family dinner, cleaning that toilet one more time...even little things sometimes add up to the sighs too deep for words. First world problems, we say. And we know we are lucky we have dinner, toilets, and toddlers...but still.

As we read daily lectionary in the dark of Advent, we encounter a Psalm of praise.

There's something to be said for being born an infant (even outside of the clear physical benefit to the mother). We go to sleep in the dark every night and wake up to the light every day of our lives. Can you imagine coming into the world as a fully aware adult and being swallowed by darkness at the end of day one? We know when the sun sets the sun will rise. We develop a rhythm of trust.

In the darkness, looking for that elusive in-breaking light, Psalm 147 is the rhythm of trust:
Praise the Lord!
How good it is to sing praises to our God;
for he is gracious, and a song of praise is fitting.
The Lord builds up Jerusalem;
he gathers the outcasts of Israel.
He heals the brokenhearted,
and binds up their wounds.
He determines the number of the stars;
he gives to all of them their names.
Great is our Lord, and abundant in power;
his understanding is beyond measure.
The Lord lifts up the downtrodden;
he casts the wicked to the ground.

Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;
make melody to our God on the lyre.
He covers the heavens with clouds,
prepares rain for the earth,
makes grass grow on the hills.
He gives to the animals their food,
and to the young ravens when they cry.
His delight is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner;
but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,
in those who hope in his steadfast love.
Hoping in God's steadfast love...the rhythm of trust. For me, this is like daylight. I was raised in the trust. I knew in the darkness, God would bring light eventually. I looked back to see when it had happened before. I look forward to seeing God work in the future. And so far, I have. And when seeing is difficult, people who have traveled the road before me share their experiences and encouragement.

I got my in-breaking this dark morning. It leaves me with a wondering of all those still in the dark. How can I share the trust in this love of God that is steadfast, always there, always at work to bring good, always for everyone. How can I invite others into the hope of the rhythm of trust?

No comments:

Post a Comment