Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where's the weekend?????

So, my Friday is my Saturday. Because I work on Sundays, my weekends start after work on Thursday, and because I go to school on Saturday, my weekend ends at the end of the day on Friday. So last Friday I am up at 5 (because I take after my crazy father who gets up at five instead of my crazy mother who goes to bed at five...both a.m.) and I read several chapters for class, empty the dishwasher, make coffee and breakfast, then I wash the dog, shower, and get ready for my day off.

I did have a nice cup of coffee with my husband, and then I hit the pharmacy and the grocery store before I went home to dust, vacuum, and do more homework.

That's not to say I dust and vacuum every day off. Sometimes I mow and rake. Sometimes I clean the garage. Sometimes I clean out closets or run errands.

What I can't seem to find is that idea of weekend that I thought I'd have when I was imagining what being an adult would be like:
  • walking through lush green spinach and lettuce in a backdoor garden with delicious hot coffee (made, I'm sure by the butler/maid/husband) and smiling benevolently at the rabbits having a snack in your private produce department...
  • reading the whole New York Times cover to cover with coffee (again), white terry robes, and a very handsome man (butler back? no husband!) in a luxurious bedroom with table and chairs, sofa, and of course, the mussed but beautiful bed with breakfast tray...
  • sailing in a beautiful boat with good friends and good wine, beautiful tan and great hair...
  • hiking the Appalachian Trail in very cool boots and shorts, slender legs--shaved and exfoliated...
  • dinner parties in your backyard garden at big farmer's tables with tablecloths and plates overflowing with beautiful, home-grown, organic food, candles that don't attract suicidal moths, and no pile of dirty dishes waiting in the kitchen (butler again!)...
  • add your fantasy here...
Sometimes I seek that in my faith. I want faith that allows my head to glow with a heavenly light and my eyes to glisten with just a hint of tears of joy and fulfillment. I want faith that allows me to turn water into wine and have a heck of a party with my 200 closest friends. I want faith that allows me to vanquish evil doers and straighten out this mess we call life in the real world. I want faith that is unquestionable and unquestioned, faith that allows me to float through my days in a peaceful, happy fog that touches those around me and spreads the love...allowing my children to do exactly the right things, my church to grow and thrive and not be able to find parking places on Sunday because so many are compelled by the aura to drive up the very long, very hidden drive...motivating teens to wear suits and ties and volunteer at the church in every spare minute they have, happily giving up their Wii's for shelving library books and scrubbing walls, and weeding flower beds...

But, on the weekend and in my faith I just get up and do what needs to be done, celebrating occasional cups of great coffee or great insight. The reality is, as I look around, most real adult people don't have weekends like I imagined, or faith like we have defined it. You can't show me where Mother Teresa's head glowed on a regular basis, and we learned after her death that she struggled every day to hold on to her faith. Moses glowed after coming off the mountain of God, but before and after that event he dealt with real people and real issues and made a boatload of mistakes. Jesus was crucified.

Faith and weekends seem to be much more about preparation and awareness, and the discipline of "keeping on" so that when the spirit of the luxurious moment does break through, we can see and celebrate.

My greatest frustration comes when I expect faith and/or weekends to be something they are not. Both are fully a part of real life and not separate from it. Both require work and persistence. Both hold great hope for the future (I still hope for that garden...and maybe the slender legs...) and both shape life in the coming days. And as frustrating as both can be, I wouldn't even consider living without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment