Monday, February 1, 2016

Evangelism....again: "Belief"

I'm reading a book called Belief Without Borders: Inside the Minds of the Spiritual but not Religious. Caveat...I just started the book. But in the beginning there is much written about the "beliefs" of religion. Apparently the "nones" are taking "a decidedly anti-dogmagtic stance against religious belief in general...they insist they do not need to believe in anything in particular to grow spiritually and that it really does not matter what your believe."

I call bu........ Well, I won't. My mother reads this blog. One definition of "belief" is that someone thinks something to be the case (thank you Wikipedia). Another is an opinion or conviction (Dictionary.com). Another (with gratitude to Merriam-Webster) is a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing. I suppose religion/spirituality is somehow wrapped up in all these things. But I think we have created an awfully shallow definition of religion/spirituality if they are based simply on opinion or thinking something might be the case.

Habit comes closer...but not just habit of mind. My faith is habit of being...mind, body, soul. And it is not for personal well-being, something to check off an accomplishment list to  create a well-rounded person. Truth is, it matters very much what you put your trust in. Are people fundamentally good or bad? Do you live in fear or hope? What is the purpose of your living?

As I read the gospel, Christian faith practice is a way of living in the world that results in transformation, both individually and corporately. Sometimes I wish I could practice the militant, self-focused Christianity where I see myself to be "saved" from hell (whatever that is), have a set list of things to think and do, and the ability to sit in judgment of others who don't do what I do or think what I think...and then, gleefully, condemn them to hell.

Alas...I cannot (and I am grateful...the comment above was pure snark). What I see in the biblical text, especially as Jesus reveals who God is, is a faith practice that is constantly reaching across barriers, constantly communicating to God, constantly looking for where God is at work before us, constantly reconciling and transforming brokenness with community and acceptance, constantly working for the good of others.

What are my other choices? Power? Violence? Strength? Consumerism? Knowledge? Popularity? Do I have to invent the wheel on my own every day, trying to find and decide what I will trust in and build my life on?

Believe me, I don't agree with what seems to be the majority "Christian" practice out there...at least the practice that gets the press. If that is my choice, I, too will proudly check "none." I "believe"...my conviction based on reading and studying the gospel in community that following Jesus is, for me in this time and place, the best habit of being.

It holds the promise to change me for the better, to change us for the better...and thus change the world. That's the best I can do. I'll leave the rest to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment