Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Faithful Pathways: Community

We lost something in the heyday of American church. We enjoyed power and status. Everyone was involved somewhere. People who "didn't do" church were not nice people.

We would like to go back there...that's what we pine for, yearn for. try to hire the preacher who can get us back there.

That's not the community that reflects who God is. "...not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, things that are not, to reduce to nothing things that are, so that no one might boast in the presence of God." (from today's reading, (1 Corinthians 1:20-31)

Maybe being unpopular is the best thing that could happen to us. I know it's really making me think about why I practice faith, why I think God exists and what God I think exists, and how to have that conversation with people.

I have to boast in the Lord only...so far, I'm not very good at this new job of recruiting. But there may be something to the community that encompasses all, where the weak and the foolish and the despised are included, not because of who they are...but because of who God is.

Yeah...this story is definitely on my list of thing to talk about...

No comments:

Post a Comment