Sunday, December 14, 2014

Advent: The Gift of Congregation...



Week Three: Gifts of Faith Community...

Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them: You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.
Lev. 19:2

“Church-going” was a given my entire life. If it was Sunday, I was in church, except for a few Sundays while I was in college and thought I had a choice. Same for my mother. Same for my kids. However, I confess, it was well over forty years before I understood “congregation” as a gift.

Congregation is defined in Mounce’s Dictionary
as “what is brought together or assembled.” That, I believe, defines the gift of congregation. From beginning to end in the biblical witness, God’s gathers God’s people. Together they are charged with being God’s people, together they are holy as God is holy, together they receive God’s Spirit, together they serve and participate in God’s work. The life of a disciple, a God-follower, Jewish, Christian...this life is not individualistic. You don’t get your charge, your Spirit, your call individually--and then join together. By definition you are congregation...to quote my mother, “we’re going to church.”

I know the other side...the “I-feel-closer-to-God-on-the-golf-course” or “alone-in-nature.” Perhaps true if we define “closer to God” as “fun” or “peaceful” or “easy.” Understanding the life of Jesus as perfectly in relationship with God, I challenge you to find fun, peaceful, or easy. Jesus is in conflict with the religious authorities as he worships and speaks in the temple. He is frustrated with the disciples, he is tired from teaching and healing masses of people. He goes to the mountains to pray--to be alone for a bit...but only to return to the gift of gathered community. Ministry, miracle, transformation always happen in community.

Communities are far from perfect. Gathering of humans can be healthy, or dysfunctional in every way. But togetherness completes us in ways I’m not sure we are fully aware or appreciative of, especially in our culture. God gathers us because some hold memory and some eagerly reach for the new and next. Some are highly caring and empathetic, some are effective problem seers and solvers. Hammerers, cooks, cleaners, and artists come together to make a whole. Those who had a good Sunday getting their kids to the church walked with me when I arrived as a murderous mama at her wit’s end. The next week, I could return the favor. The people who drive me most crazy in this precious community are the ones teaching me what God wants me to learn, pushing me to be more effective in my faith practice, showing me where I need to grow and trust.

Congregation is gift. Each time we are gathered we can unwrap a bit more grace. Sometimes the wrapping tape sticks and grace is hard to access. Other times, grace oozes out of the package and covers our hands with sticky wonder as we rip into God’s promises. But every time, over time, we receive God’s gift of community--the congregation.

I must admit, however, if I had kids to raise again, I wouldn’t use my mom’s phrase “we’re going to church,” I’d say...gift time!!

Gather us in, O God, and reveal to us the gift of congregation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment