Monday, December 8, 2014

Advent: Surprise Gifts...

(If you put your e-mail in the box to the right, the post will come to your in-box.

Week Two: Gifts for God's People...

I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  
Isaiah 43:19

The waiting for God's savior is surrounded by surprise. Elizabeth was surprised to find her old self pregnant. Mary was surprised to find her virgin self pregnant. Joseph, the shepherds, the religious authorities...the list of surprised people goes on and on. God's work is steeped in surprise. God continuously works through surprising people, surprising actions, surprising timelines. Carole shares her surprising year and its consequences for the gift-giving of her life and faith:
Last summer a friend gave me the opportunity to learn something new... hypnosis. Surprise! I bet you didn't see that coming. Learning hypnosis, how to use it for myself and others, has really changed me. It opened up my eyes, mind, and heart, so I can use more of God's gifts for me.
For example: At Forest Hills, we have been encouraged to recognize our God-given gifts, and I have known for some time that God gave me the gift of music. I love to sing. I enjoy playing bells. But my real passion is playing the piano. I had played some at our previous church, but not at Forest Hills. When we started our Fourth Sunday music practice--inviting people to share their musical gifts in worship--I knew God wanted me to use my gift.
Unfortunately, it was torture. I was so nervous I nearly made myself sick. I also knew it was a God-given gift, and I was called to share it. I needed to let others share my love of piano.
This summer my hypnosis training taught me I could alleviate my fears. I decided to address my fear of public playing, and it worked! No more fear. No more sick. I am now so filled with the joy of sharing that I have played three times and enjoy each one. Surprise! God works in wonderful ways. (Carole Richie)
"Do you not perceive it?" asks God as God does a new thing. We say we like surprises, but it is hard for us to recognize their potential as life-changing events. I think, deep down, we assume "life changing" or "good" must mean "well-planned."

We must never forget that ours is a God of surprise. Advent is an invitation to open ourselves to the surprising work that will transform us and the world.

God of great surprises, may our skepticism and fear never hold back the gifts you have in store for us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment