Sunday, December 7, 2014

Advent: Regular Gifts...

(If you put your e-mail in the box to the right, the post will come to your in-box.)

Week Two: Gifts for God's People...

For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has--not according to what one does not have.
2 Corinthians 8:12

When we are not in Advent or another festival season of liturgical time, we are in "ordinary time," "ordinal time." The days follow in order, one after another. So do the Sundays. First, second, third, fourth...

Ordinal reflects that "order of existence," but is also defined as "regular." Another of the definitions from the greater church is "a book of daily services." I'm sure the daily services to which they referred were daily worship services, but it got me thinking about "daily services" as gifts to be given. Linda articulates this well:
What is my talent? Growing up, I hated the thought of talent contests because I didn't do any of the things considered talents. I can sing, but not so wonderfully that it would be considered "talent." I didn't play an instrument. I didn't do acrobatics, juggle, or dance--and I certainly was not a "stand-up comedian." Nothing I could do fit others' idea of "talent-show talent."
So am I "gifted?" When I consider being "gifted," I think of people who are better than the average person at a skill. Most of what I do, I consider average. I do many things, but many people do them far better than I. Perhaps I am slightly above average in some areas, but definitely not what anyone would call "gifted."
Do I have gifts? Define "gifts." I didn't bother to look it up. A gift is something that I can give to others that brings them joy or shows them love. And yes, I do have gifts, lots of them. I am not a great cook, but I make tasty banana bread and people love my apple pie. Gifts.
People appreciate the pottery we make. Another gift. Quilting? I love making prayer quilts. Gift. And my phone call to my friend in the hospital to ask if he wants a prayer quilt?  Gift. The visit when I take the quilt...gift. The sharing of my presence and concern...gift. Prayer...gift.
I see it now, I do have gifts. And the best gift is to know I've been given these gifts and to see that I can bring joy and love to others by simply sharing them. (Linda Mason) 
Perhaps the sharing of ordinal gifts is much like the practice of daily prayer. We may not make the news, but when we eagerly use our ordinary skills to "bring joy or show love," we celebrate God's gift to us and bring the joy of those gifts to others. It's good to know that our regular lives are created to be gifts from God for the people of God. (and that's not just people inside the church walls; we know that all people belong to God!)

Let the gift-giving continue... One, two, three, four....

For the gifts we have received, we give you thanks. For the ease with which these gifts can be shared with others, we thank you even more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment