Thursday, December 18, 2014

Advent: The Gift of Prayer...

Week Three: Gifts of Faith Community...




Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16

Shoes get very interesting when a prayer is needed. Prayer is nice and all, but no one really knows how to do it. Certainly no one wants to do it in public. What if they messed it up?

The faith community teaches us to pray. In worship we speak words of prayer, listen to others pray on our behalf, wish we were better pray-ers...wish we could pray at all.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances." No process, no rules, no criteria for acceptable prayer or unacceptable prayer.

Attitude.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances."

The gift of prayer is nurtured in faith community. The practice of prayer becomes ours as we rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances.

C.S. Lewis says,
“I pray because I cannot help myself. I pray because I’m helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time--waking and sleeping. It does not change God, it changes me.
Almighty God, Creator of the universe, Maker of all that is, invites us to be in relationship and gifts us with prayer to help relationship grow. Surely shoes are not more fascinating than that...

For the gift of prayer, we are grateful. Hold us tightly as we practice speaking to you and listening for your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment