Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent!…Lent?…lent (sigh)….

This is the one season with which I struggle. Love the idea of Lent. Understand the bits and pieces that swirl around the season. But really, I don't get it. I am still searching for images and practice that coalesces many ideas and perspectives…AND that make sense.

So that's the Lenten journey you can expect from this blog this year. It's a pretty personal quest, but perhaps it might address some of your questions and confusions as well. Comments are really welcome. I'd be interested in your insights, inspirations, and questions as well…

I keep pushing my pastor/colleague on this issue. He restrains eye-rolling remarkably well. Yesterday, when I pushed again, admitting my total lack of engagement (and therefore, inability to do the job I had agreed to do to put a lenten resource in the bulletin), he remarked offhand that perhaps Lent is a time of "Defining who we are."

It's the first phrase that has made sense.

What you quickly learn as you read about the origins of Lent is that there's little consensus. From "preparing new Christians for baptism on Easter" to "fasting and prayer for disciples," from three days to forty…it's a grab bag. Check out  Wikipedia and there is also a great summary out of Christianity Today. 

Perhaps the first lesson of practicing Christian discipleship during Lent is finding what deepens and develops discipleship, corporate and individual.

And for me, that is not giving up chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Jim West has some fun, snarky comments about Lent. My favorites being:

    "Piety limited to a particular period is impiety."

    "Lent is the observance favored by Christians who can only manage 40 days of mildly spiritual self discipline."

    Of course, he's been called out for being too harsh numerous times by Lenten observers who find this time as one of renewal. My experience has often mimicked Dr. West's comments, though. People will either give up chocolate, Facebook, smoking or some other first world luxury/convenience oftentimes for the pure spartan thrill of going cold turkey with little intention of growing closer to Christ. Come Easter, it's as if all of those "vices" are suddenly permissible again, and nothing is learned or gained. I'm more interested in taking on some new, positive behavior - the simplest being taking time to smile at passersby.

    I recently found this book on Amazon:

    God For Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent
    http://www.amazon.com/God-Us-Rediscovering-Meaning-Easter/dp/1612613799/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394121289&sr=1-6&keywords=lent

    It's a devotional for each day during Lent while also being an educational resource explaining the importance of Lent. I appreciate its ecumenical approach. Perhaps this is the type of book which the church needs in order to not only reclaim Lent but also value its annual significance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God For Us must have some chops. I found it the day before Ash Wednesday and it is out of stock…it did look interesting. Thanks for the comments…I'm going to be mildly spiritually self-disciplined today.

      Delete