Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Self-definition...

Self-definition. I am a pastor's spouse. 30 years today. We probably should have had a celebration of that ordination day. We made the mistake of having children, however. Mostly what I remember about that day is fitting into a real dress. Figuring out how to strategically nurse my three week old son. Being really proud of my husband, though I didn't truly understand the significance of the event.

I am almost a pastor. Now I understand the significance of the day. I also understand the significance of the gifts my husband brings to ministry. He shaped my life and faith journey.

The journey of preparation doesn't happen only in Lent. We are shaped our whole lives for the vocation God has given us. Whether we are pastors or plumbers, we are people of faith. We are defined first by God's love. Lent gives us the gift of becoming aware of how and by whom we are defined.

No comments:

Post a Comment