Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Radical Hospitality...Beds

Sometimes we think we want a slot machine God. Put your prayer in and get your prize. Show up at church and be "fed." Ever fed animals in a petting zoo? They have those "gum machine" things that you put your money in, twist the knob, and food pours into your hand. It would be great if our spiritual lives could be fed like that. Either you could stop by the church whenever and get your fix, or you could be guaranteed food when you did come for worship.

Would that not be a better definition of hospitality? We get it when we need it or want it. We get it how we want it? We hear the definition of hospitality focused around the receiver's needs. A warm welcome to a stranger or guest would involve making that guest happy or comfortable--no doubt the influence of the "hospitality industry." The British definition is "kindness in welcoming guests" or "receptivity." The origin of the word is "hospital," a place that treats the broken.

As much as we would like to have a slot-machine God, the radical part of God's hospitality is that we get what we need, not what we want. My understanding of God's work is that God is constantly at work to bring health and wholeness, to transform us into our best selves, not our happy selves. The people I respect the most with the kind of faith that is deep and transformative will give thanks for the struggles in their lives. That, they say, is where the growth happened. That is where the understanding matured.

It's a whole different can of theological worms to decide why we are a sinful, broken people. But we are. Our very best efforts cannot extract us from the brokenness of our selves or our world. Today I have a picture of two buildings, a fancy hotel with all the "hospitality" trappings I could want and a hospital.

I can walk into the hotel, be called by name, be catered to, enjoy my favorite food and beverage, have my every want satisfied. Or I can walk into the hospital and collapse my broken self onto the bed and let myself be healed.

The hotel might be fun if life is good. But I need the God who provides unconditional receptivity to my brokenness, who heals with mercy and compassion.

There's a bed for you...






No comments:

Post a Comment