Saturday, March 28, 2015

Radical Hospitality...Remember

I'm dog sitting this weekend. I've been surprised how completely forgetful I've been. I suppose when you are sans animals for awhile, the care and keeping is simply not in your head. Until recently, I haven't been without an animal for my entire life...except college, and maybe a roommate counts.

Now, lest you think doggies are suffering, think again. It's just that when I come downstairs for my morning coffee, their little shuffles and yips are what get my attention. I don't come down thinking I need to care for the dogs. Then I have to go back upstairs for shoes (because spring has decided she didn't want to stick around).

The question is this. Has our practice of hospitality gone to the dogs?

One of my favorite things about the deep south is their focus on hospitality. Their first concern for stranger is welcome. Their mode of operation is courtesy. Their way of being in the world is gracious geniality.

Of course, they (we---I'm a child of that culture) sometimes aren't perfect. We start with hospitality and then don't follow through...but we do start there.

In this time of busy, busy lives, has hospitality gone the way of the care-and-keeping-of-the-chiweenie? Do we just forget to welcome, to include, to invite?

And who's squeaking for our attention?

And I promise you, hospitality doesn't have to include the china and silver...paper plates are just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment