Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Radical Hospitality...Gifts

Interesting article on Death and Resurrection of an Urban Church yesterday in the Duke Leadership Newsletter. The revitalization of the congregation (downtown, urban issues...you know the type) came about when they stopped "helping" their neighbors.

Instead of seeing problems, they learned to see gifts. And when they viewed people as gifts, they began to build community.

One of the interesting challenges about blogging every day for a season...and one of the reasons I do it, is it pushes me to think about the theme every day. I had no idea what to write today and have been staring at this computer for about 45 minutes. I scanned the newspaper, read the daily scripture, and then just had to sit and look at the keys and let my brain flit around.

I went to a fundraising dinner last night for an organization that works to eliminate homelessness and hunger in our town...and then I remembered this article that I had scanned, but not read closely.

I wonder how many folks in the room of 400 saw the clients (even the successful ones) as gifts of our community instead of problems to be fixed. I can't say that I was actively thinking in those terms.

Gosh, it's hard to be knocked around by God before you've finished your first cup of coffee.

(And read the article...it's worth the time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment