Monday, March 16, 2015

Radical Hospitality...Gratitude

Preached from Jonah yesterday and the story challenges our presumptions of radical hospitality at many different levels. The one thing Jonah was not, was grateful.

Oh, he prays a prayer of thanksgiving deep in the belly of that big fish, but while he gets the words right, he doesn't follow through. I question whether he is really grateful for his salvation because it doesn't transfer.

I learn much from my friends in the 12 step community. One clear characteristic is their gratitude. They are grateful for a second chance at life, grateful for community, grateful for life itself. Their struggle is real and ongoing...but gratitude seems (at least from this outsider looking in) to be the power behind the transformation.

Jonah was good at being grateful when he received privilege. He loved his status as "insider." He was glad to be saved from the watery depths. But he didn't recognize his salvation as gift...I think he saw it as deserved...which made him unable to share it in gratitude.

I think Lenten practice today will be exploring the depth of my gratitude...

Just to be clear with God...I think I can do it without being in the belly of a fish...



No comments:

Post a Comment