Thursday, December 1, 2011

Accomplishments...

As you prepare for a party, you tend to make lists and check off accomplishments.  As I am up at the crack of dawn with a dog who must go outside and several chores to be done, I am watching Newt Gingrich list a multitude of accomplishments...many of which are being discounted by the press.  It is almost comical to watch any politician try to find just the right action which will appeal to the voters and transform them into the super-politician that can sweep us off our feet and solve all our problems (ha!).  Whether it is fighting the cold war or inventing the internet, images of a five-year-old waving an art piece in your face for ultimate approval emerge.

At the end of the day--yep, party day--I will wait for guests to arrive with a list in my head.  Reasonably clean, check.  Decent food, check.  Pretty tables, check.  Pants zipped, check.  And whether I want to or not, this will be the list I am waving in my very human effort to earn my keep, to get "their" approval.

During Advent, are we waiting with our lists clutched in our hands , looking at our checkmarks to see if we will be primary in the coming Kingdom?  or do we wait with open hearts for the work of God to become visible to our eyes when we raise them from what we have done to what God is doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment