Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas...

I wish I could say I had written this...but I share with you a poem written by a friend, Trish Holland titled "On Being Good--or Being Loved."

"I must have really been good 
        last year," our five year-old-mused,
"Santa brought me things 
        I didn't even ask for."
"He must have loved you a lot,"
       responded her mother.
"He makes a list of all the good children
       and all the bad children.
       I must have really been good!
       Doesn't he make a list, Mother?"
"That's what the song says,"
       her mother agrees
       preserving the myth,
       but adding:
"He must have loved you a lot,"
       gently preparing her
       for the greater truth.


Pharisees of every age boast:
       "I must have really been good!"
A child of the Living God confesses:
       "He must have loved me a lot."

The true gift of Christmas is realizing how much we are loved.

Thank you Trish...and Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment