Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Faithful Pathways: Humility

Today's reading catches me in a couple of ways. First, all the things the author thinks should be trusted, should be comforting, should be dependable--all have failed. Lovers, priests, elders...nothing can be counted on.

The other thing that catches me is the full acceptance the author has of fault. "The Lord is in the right, for I have rebelled against his word...See, O LORD, how distressed I am; my stomach churns, my heart is wrung within me, because I have been very rebellious."

I spend a lot of time reading the papers or listening to the news and feeling distressed, stomach churning, heart wrenched. But how much I blame my rebellion and how much I point blame on others is very different.

The author wants God to bring judgment on their evil the same as God has on his/hers. I want that too, only without full judgment of my own rebelliousness.

Perhaps that is the humility missing in so much of our talk of moral failures. Our practices are exempt instead of foundational.

Food for thought...though not food anyone would really want to eat...

Lamentations 1:17-22New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

17 Zion stretches out her hands,
    but there is no one to comfort her;
the Lord has commanded against Jacob
    that his neighbors should become his foes;
Jerusalem has become
    a filthy thing among them.
18 The Lord is in the right,
    for I have rebelled against his word;
but hear, all you peoples,
    and behold my suffering;
my young women and young men
    have gone into captivity.
19 I called to my lovers
    but they deceived me;
my priests and elders
    perished in the city
while seeking food
    to revive their strength.
20 See, O Lord, how distressed I am;
    my stomach churns,
my heart is wrung within me,
    because I have been very rebellious.
In the street the sword bereaves;
    in the house it is like death.
21 They heard how I was groaning,
    with no one to comfort me.
All my enemies heard of my trouble;
    they are glad that you have done it.
Bring on the day you have announced,
    and let them be as I am.
22 Let all their evil doing come before you;
    and deal with them
as you have dealt with me
    because of all my transgressions;
for my groans are many
    and my heart is faint.


No comments:

Post a Comment