Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Faithful Pathways: Repetition

Jesus continues with his insistence on living a life that puts others first. I said yesterday he might be cranky...I think yes...yes, he is. We use hyperbole, exaggeration, when we are cranky. I rest my case.

Cut off your hand. Drown yourself in the sea. Tear out your eyes. Do all of this before you "put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me."

Stumbling block? What?

We can't.

There's not enough.

We've never done it that way.

I don't want to change anything.

The disciples use all the same stumbling blocks we use today. But all is not lost.

Jesus moves the conversation to salt. Salt preserves, purifies, or destroys. But it mostly is a good thing. So we end with the request to "have salt in yourself" or in other places in the biblical text, "have salt among yourselves." It means sit down and eat together and be at peace.

I think he's suggesting they eat chips. The salt in chips makes everyone want to sit and eat in peace.

So teach the lessons. Again and again and again. But between them, have a few salty chips.

All will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment